Friday, February 28, 2014

Blue February - unexpected reveal

So I sewed something for Blue February, but I thought I wouldn't be able to blog about it because I was pattern testing for Sewaholic.  Fortunately, Tasia did a Belcarra Blouse reveal the other day and so I'm free to spill the beans!

Sewaholic
Now follows a series of blurry photos taken in my lab on a bad hair day.  (Hell, let's be honest:  it was a bad face day, so I cropped most of them….)





I made view B with the sleeve tucks, though it may not be obvious from these photos because the print kind of hides them.  They are more apparent in real life and I really like the subtle detail that they add to an otherwise plain top.

It's a pattern that I would recommend when it's released in April.  It goes together quickly and doesn't take much yardage.  I sewed it over two weekend afternoons, but it should take a regular (read: childless) person less time than that because they won't be interrupted every 15 minutes with an injury to attend to or fight to referee.  The pleating actually took most of the time because I wanted to make sure that I was marking and pressing evenly, as opposed to my usual "eyeball it and hope for the best" method.

I bought this fabric during the first Montreal meet up last May, and knew that I wanted to save it for a top, but I didn't have just the right pattern until now.  It's 100% cotton shirting (almost voile, but not quite that fine.  What would you call that?)  Shannon at the Finished Garment bought some too, but I don't know if she's used it yet.  It was a great fabric to work with because it is soft and has great drape, but was easy to handle without any shifting around.   And now I wish I'd bought more in another colour way.

OK, I'm on vacation in Florida and I really should be outside enjoying the lack of 1m of snow and -20C temperatures!

18 comments:

  1. Pretty! I like it. I bet you wear this one a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It actually looks better tucked in, but the trousers I was wearing in these photos are not very fitted around the waist, so I opted for the untucked look.

      Delete
  2. this is so pretty! i really like the idea of the sleeve tucks in this pattern, so it's so neat to see one made up that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy - the pattern is basic enough to allow lots of variations; it would also be great with colour blocking, with/out pocket, with/out tucks, etc.

      Delete
  3. VERY cute!! At least you didn't mention "kids throwing up" so things have improved : ) And is that a new hair color?? Have fun in Florida!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, vomiting all finished just in time for vacation, fortunately! And I do have a new hair colour: I was tempted to go black bob à la Miss Fisher, but my hairdresser convinced me to try reddish highlights. I'm not sure about it, but maybe I'll do my hair properly and take a good photo someday to show it off better.

      Delete
  4. That is a darling top! I bet you will get tons of wear from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my bottoms are blue, white or black, so it was a fortuitous choice of print colours!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, pretty! I really like that print, and the fabric looks like an ideal weight for this kind of top. I'm looking forward to the pattern coming out next month. It looks like it would be a really useful one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work well in any light fabric: cotton voile, lightweight synthetics, maybe even a knit. I think Tasia is going to do a sew along or at least some fabric suggestions after the pattern is ready.

      Delete
  6. Love the print you used and think the pleats show up well in it anyway. :) I'll certainly be buying this when it's released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only caveat I have is that the neckline/shoulders are quite wide. I have narrow shoulders, so it falls off if not positioned exactly right. Do you usually do narrow or wide shoulder adjustment? (And the sleeve cuff is a bit tight on my mama-arms, so I may add a slight 0.5cm next time….those adjustments may not be necessary for anyone else…)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Carmen! Oooooo….comment from sewing royalty! heheh. I'll shut up now.

      Delete
  8. Oh, this is lovely! I like how it fits and the spotty fabric is very funky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catja! The neckline is quite wide on me, so I'm thinking about doing a little redrafting next go around. That's just me though; small shoulders and all. It will probably be just right on most people.

      Delete
  9. Love that fabric...it's very science-y — appropriate for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's funny because someone else said the same thing about that fabric…it kind of looks like xenopus eggs that we use for transfection in the lab. But they aren't blue, or course ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...